Asbestos is commonly used as insulator and fire retardant material in the building. Asbestos is very effective as fire retardant but people discovered that it is very dangerous for health if inhaled in any form. Human health can be affected by long term contact with unsafe asbestos. Fibers of asbestos are easily inhaled and injure lower lungs which cause many lung diseases. Long term inhalation of these asbestos fibers can also cause death. Mostly people decline asbestos testing in their property because of its high cost. However, it is essential to get it tested in order to keep you and your loved ones life safe.
Solid material testing
Many laboratories provide facility of testing and all you need to do is to cut a sample of material you think is asbestos, place it in a sealed pack bag and mail it to the laboratory. Types of materials you can send to the laboratories are floor tile, wallboard, mastic, ceiling insulation and sheet vinyl. After two to three weeks, lab gives you reports of your sample whether the sample is really asbestos or not. Different labs charge different cost for this service.
If you are sending dust for testing, make sure that you have collected a teaspoon full of dust. If you cannot gather that amount of dust, use a tissue and wipe the dust than seal it in a zip lock bag, because dust of asbestos requires an electron microscope for sampling. Its cost is much higher than convectional testing.
You also have to beware from asbestos testing home kit because you still have to pay delivery cost and lab fees which makes it more expensive.